It’ll hit 90 degrees in Houston this week, so I figured time was running out to post any Late Spring JH news…
- As previously mentioned, JH will appear at Over The Rhine’s Nowhere Else Festival over Memorial Day weekend. You can get a clearer picture of what to expect at the festival’s website.
- In addition to the new Allen Toussaint record (due June 10), there are several new production projects due in 2016:
- Chely Wright’s new album I Am The Rain will be released in September.
- Canadian singer-songwriter Rose Cousins has recorded a new record with JH and will be released later this year (you can pre-order the record from her website to receive it sometime prior the official release).
- JH’s own website lists a new production from Austrian band Son of the Velvet Rat.
- Stefan has a terrific new interview with Birds of Chicago, conducted while they were on tour in Europe.
- JH will appear with Rosanne Cash on June 20 in Los Angeles at an event called Composed: The Intersection of Poetry and Song. Reservations are closed but you can stand-by for admission on the day of the event.
JH will open for Rhiannon Giddens at her date this summer at Prospect Park Bandshell as part of the Celebrate Brooklyn! series (announcement on May 10).
(UPDATE: Sorry, this was from 2015 – my mistake. But if you are going to be in the NYC area in July, why not check this out?)
- There is an amazing interview with engineer Ryan Freeland, conducted by Steve Dawson for his Music Makers and Soul Shakers Podcast. Dawson has also interviewed Bill Frisell, Mary Gauthier and, most recently, Marc Ribot. (Also available on iTunes)
- And speaking of Ribot, as you may recall, he and JH performed as a duo at the recent Big Ears Festival in Knoxville (read Josh Hurst’s review of the show here). You can watch much of the performance on YouTube in four parts (see below).
Big thanks to Stefan Vandenberghe for keeping us updated when I am sometimes slacking off!